- not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself:
an independent thinker.
- not subject to another’s authority or jurisdiction; autonomous; free:
an independent businessman.
- not influenced by the thought or action of others:
- not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
- an independent person or thing.
- a small, privately owned business:
The conglomerates are buying up the independents.